Restoring Sight With Intraocular Lenses
The first successful attempt at replacing the function of the removed cataractous lens by a prosthetic lens implant was performed by Harold Ridley in 1949. These artificial lenses were fabricated in a shape similar to the natural lens from poly(methyl methacrylate) (PMMA). Though there were several successes, many complications resulted from lens dislocation and the poor manufacturing processes available.
Access to the full text of this article is restricted. In order to view this article please log in.